The most effective way to care for your carpet. Follow these simple tips to keep your carpet’s color and texture looking fresh:
• Vacuum your carpet regularly to prevent soil from embedding itself in the pile.
• Depending on the type of carpet you have, you’ll want to use a vacuum with a rotating brush, a beater bar, or suction only.
• Keeping traffic and other use factors in mind, you should have your carpets professionally cleaned every 6 to 12 months.
• Use scissors to clip sprouts and snags. Do not pull on them, you may further damage the carpet by disconnecting the adjacent fibers.
• If your carpet is burned, simply remove the tops of the dark, burnt fibers with curved finger-nail scissors. If the burn is extensive, you may need to patch or replace it.
• Remove heavy furniture dents by stroking the dented area with the edge of a coin. You can also use a hair dryer on the lowest heat setting or use a hand steamer, but be very careful not to get too close to the carpet maintaining several inches between the nozzle tip and the carpet.
• For extensive water damage, consult Veterans Cleaning Solutions to dry your carpet from the front and back or receive a recommendation of a trusted and reliable emergency service company.
No matter the hype, never ever use a spot remover on your carpet; more often than not this product will set the stain in the carpet fiber or worse bleach the color out of the carpet.
Use one of these two solutions only and use measured amounts (do not add extra thinking it would work more effectively). Start with the first one, if the stain persists try the second one, if it still remains give Veterans at call at 334.475.3040.
Mix ¼ of a teaspoon of a CLEAR mild dish soap with one cup of warm (not hot) water.
Mix 2 tablespoons of WHITE vinegar with 4 cups of warm (not hot) water.
• Use first in a less visible area to make sure that neither solution will cause its own staining or damage to carpet.
• Apply the solution to a white (non-printed) paper towel or white cotton towel (cotton towels work the best) and use to dampen carpet. Blot the stained area (straight up and down motion) do not rub or scrub. Do not add so much as to soak the backing of the carpet, you just want it damp.
• Using clean white paper towel with each blotting motion, pressing on the stain for a moment before changing it out with a new clean white paper towel (you can fold a cotton towel using a different side with each blot). Make sure you set the used towels in trash bag or can and not back on the carpet! Do not rub or scrub!
• Using a blunt tool such as a spoon, gently scrap the carpet from out outer edge of the stain toward the center of the stain. Do a couple of more blotting steps. Most of the stain should be removed at this time.
• Then fold a clean white cotton towel into a square the size of the stain so that the material is at least a ½ inch thick. Place towel on stain with a weight on top of it making sure the colors of the weight are colorfast and will not bleed into the towel or carpet. Allow this time to work, overnight is best.
• If stain persists after using both solutions call Veterans Cleaning Solutions 334.475.3040!
For additional carpet care information please use the following links from national manufactures of flooring materials: